"Vehicles that are serviced regularly will be safer to drive, kinder to the environment and have a better chance of passing the NCT first time round"
Take the stress out of the NCT by getting a comprehensive pre-test inspection, which will cover all the important mechanical & safety issues including your vehicles brakes, lights, tyres, exhaust emissions, steering & suspension. Our state of the art workshops are equipped with all the necessary vehicle testing equipment to ensure your car passes the test.
We include the following items in our Pre-NCT inspection:
- Exhaust emissions
- Wheels and tyres
- Steering and suspension
- Chassis and under body
- Electrical systems
- Glass and mirrors
- Fuel system
What is the NCT?
It is known as the National Car Test (NCT). It was introduced to Ireland in January 2000 under EU Directive 96/96/EC.
The NCT is compulsory, every car is due its first NCT when it is four years old, and every two years thereafter. The test is carried out on behalf of the Government by the National Car Testing Service Ltd (NCTS). The main purpose of the NCT is to ensure the highest level of vehicle road safety while enhancing environmental protection.
The NCT fee is currently €55 and a re-test costs €28 (both fees are inclusive of VAT).
The NCT can be booked on-line at www.nct.ie or by telephone on LoCall 1890 412 413.
Preparation for The NCT
- Check your engine oil and water level is adequate.
- Empty the boot and clear all unnecessary belongings out of the vehicle.
- Tyres must be in good condition and inflated to the correct pressure. Don't forget the spare tyre as this will be inspected too.
- Ensure engine is in a fit state to be tested.
- Wheel hubcaps must be removed so that the wheel can be fully inspected.
- Ensure your vehicle is clean inside and out, especially the under body of the car as the mechanic needs to inspect this carefully and they must be able to see clearly.
- All seatbelts and clips must be fully visible and in working order. It is necessary to remove baby seats before the inspection.